This is my Grandmother’s recipe and can be done 4-6 hours ahead or even day before, although better day of!
Yield: 12 servings
Cooking time: about an hour
5lbs. sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
8 ounces unsalted butter
1½ cups brown sugar
1 cup Pet milk
3 large eggs, beaten
1 cup cornflakes
1½ cups pecans, ½ toasted lightly
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp fresh grated nutmeg(substitute powder if fresh unavailable)
1. Preheat oven to 350°
2. Blanch sweet potatoes in large pot until fork tender (similar to mashed). Drain very, very well then puree in food processor until smooth.
3. In large bowl, add potatoes, melted butter, spices, ½ Brown sugar, milk and eggs.
4. Bake this mixture in greased casserole under foil for 45 minutes.
5. Chop Toasted Pecans and mix with cornflakes. Add touch of cinnamon and remaining brown sugar.
6. Spread this mix all over top of sweet potatoes and bake for additional 45 minutes, uncovered.
7. Allow dish to sit for a bit after cooking. The sugar can get extremely hot once caramelized and can burn lips, so be careful & allow to cool. Enjoy!